Friday, April 03, 2009

God and Eye Drops




This morning I got some disturbing news about my job.... could be a major bump in the road... I'll come back to this idea in a minute...

Griffin is getting over Pink Eye. We got the eye drops a few days ago and knew exactly what we needed to do to get Griffin healthy again. Here is the problem: Griffin was TERRIFIED of having something dripped into his eyes! Vange tried everything to prove to him that it would be OK. She even dropped some wetting solution drops in all the other kids' eyes and let Griffin watch so he could see that it was no big deal. Didn't work..... The whole family tried to convince Griffin that any minor discomfort he would feel would be just that, MINOR, and it would be over super quick. He could not see that the medicine was needed to get him to a better, healthy place. Finally, I had to hold him down and hold his head still while Vange pried his eyes open and applied the drops.... it was NOT pretty. He has survived the drop applications, and last night, he was a big boy and didn't fight it at all..... he was very proud of his accomplishment.

Back to the job story.... I never want to over analyze or over spiritualize anything. But, here's the deal.... I really feel like God is speaking to me (not audibly...). Imagine God's voice:

Doug, trust Me... it's not that bad. It'll be over before you know it. This is going to help you. Look around at your family and friends, haven't I steered them through similar situations to get them to a better place? Don't make me hold you down....

The very same process that we were trying with Griffin, God is using for me. Calm fears, apply the medicine/change, and get to a better/healthy place. Look, I can't prove that this is a step toward something better... Just like I hope that Griffin TRUSTS me enough that he knows I'm doing what is BEST for him, I'm trusting God that he is looking out for me.

Romans 8:28
We know that in everything God works for the good of those who love him. They are the people he called, because that was his plan.


Live loud, live intentionally, and love God and people with every word and every action.

1 comment:

emily and kyle said...

You just need to make sure Sanctus Real's song is on your ipod and hit the repeat button over and over. :) I know God has some cool things planned for you. Glad your outlook is positive.