Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Blessing In Disguise

Have you ever been handed a situation in life that you dreaded, only to find out later that it was a huge benefit? Early in my professional career, I experienced a Reduction In Force (RIF) from McDonnell Douglas.... Basically I was let go. At the time, I was crushed. I took 2 different short-term jobs just to keep our family supported. After 4 interviews, and a 9 month process, I was hired at AT&T. When I look back, I can confidently say that I would not be near the salary that I'm at now, and I would still have double the drive time that I do now if I were still at McDonnell Douglas.

Here I am again - forced into a job (or place, or situation) that I'm not thrilled about (Kim, you know the pain...). Here is my attitude this time - "God, what part of YOUR story do I get to play through this situation?"

Early in his leadership at LifePoint, Bob spoke about the idea that God is always at work in our lives. We should be looking for Him in all kinds of situations. OK God, here we go... my trust is in YOU!

Live loud, live intentionally, and love God / Family / and Friends with every word and every action.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doug, I do know what this feels like. Just yesterday morning after I had done something stupid I told God I was really trusting Him. Really, really trusting Him. Lift up my feet and CARRY me God trust!

This morning we sold our house for our asking price. I know He has big expectations of me when I do get home. I am ready. I'll also pray for you - that daddy job stuff is major!

emily and kyle said...

I hear ya!! I like this new Sanctus Real song "Whatever Your Doing" (all lyrics to be posted on my blog soon) but the chorus says something like this:
Whatever Your doing inside me, it feels like chaos, but somehow there's peace. It's hard to surrender to what I can't see, but I'm giving in to something heavenly.