Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Fireproof




I watched Fireproof last night with Vange and Haley. There was a line in the movie that screamed out to me and got my attention... "Being fireproof doesn't keep the fire from coming, it just enables you to handle it." (it was something along those lines...) How many times in life do we try to keep the fire from coming (a futile effort...) when we should put more effort into being able to handle it when it DOES COME....




In the last couple of weeks, I've listed the "Bringing Sexy Back" message series from Gary Lamb, the lead pastor at Revolution church in Canton, GA. (Actually, I've listened to it multiple times...) For me, it was Biblically solid, timely, and quite a catalyst for positive change in my marriage.




**WARNING: Uncomfortably Honest and Open Moment Ahead** If I can be brutally transparent, Vange and I are approaching our 18 year anniversary. Overall, we have a wonderful marriage. But God has used Gary Lamb and the movie Fireproof to thump my noggin! I have allowed my wife to be burdened by responsibility that should be mine. Last night, I had to apologize to her her for being mediocre in my effort to love her.... that makes God sick! On March 3rd, I made a decision to think about her differently (better) and to put her needs before mine. This is a process...... and I'm stepping forward.


I just started following a blog of a guy named Rob. First of all, Rob has really cool, layered pictures on his blog... I've got to find out how to do that. I don't know Rob well (yet), but as I read his stories and looked at his pictures I got a sense that he is HEAVILY invested in his wife and kids' lives. It was an encouragement to me to step up and increase my DEVOTION to my family (a good and perfect gift to me from God.)


We are spinning a lot of plates right now; multiple jobs, a bunch of kids' activities, church (after all, we have a freakin world to change), etc... Here is the deal - I'm praying that I get out of the way so that God can teach me the best way to spin my many plates without dropping any. That may mean I have to set some plates down... (Bob speaks the truth at LifePoint!) I want to handle WELL the fires that I'm faced with.


God, thanks for placing people in my path to steer me back on course. You do really cool stuff like that all the time.... Talk to You later.


Live loud, live intentionally, and love God and people with every word and every action.

2 comments:

emily and kyle said...

I'm glad you understand that you can't prevent the joker fire (me, Haley, and Vange) from coming at you...I'm glad you are learning that it will have to be endured.

Rob said...

Hey Doug - Just read your post on my blog. Thanks for your kind words here. It's funny you mentioned Fireproof. We just watched that a few weeks ago and it really hit home with me. My biggest struggles are time mgmt and putting the wife's needs before mine. Having 2 little kiddos and a demanding job makes it hard, but I'm making a more conscious effort as of late. I have had to set some plates down along the journey.

Love you guys. Love Lifepoint. Glad we're finding a new home here. And I'm definitely talking to our LifeGroup about this indoor waterpark!

P.S. The layered photos are fun and easy. I use PaintShopPro.

P.S.S. Yep, it's a Taylor. My skill level isn't even close to you guys, but I'm having fun with it. I played in the church band at our old home and I really miss that feeling of making music together. The LifePoint band flat out rocks. (But you already knew that!)