Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Where are YOUR friends

WARNING: I am probably going to put myself in a position of being in danger of some people hunting me down and kicking my hiney for the content of this post (If you live in Columbia, stay there / If you live in Pontoon, forget where I live :-)

When I listen to the radio, there is one artist that will make me immediately change the station - Garth Brooks. His song, Friends in Low Places, makes me want to crush my radio. That song makes me think about the importance of WHO I hang out with, and WHERE I'm hanging out. (Hey, I really DO like the hot wings .....)

I choose to have friends in high places.... the highest place. Jesus is a friend who gave EVERYTHING for me - check this out from John 15:

11 I have told you these things so that you can have the same joy I have and so that your joy will be the fullest possible joy. 12 "This is my command: Love each other as I have loved you. 13 The greatest love a person can show is to die for his friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command you. 15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know what his master is doing. But I call you friends, because I have made known to you everything I heard from my Father.

Here are a few nuggets from the Bible about friends:

Prov 17:17 Friends love through all kinds of weather, and families stick together in all kinds of trouble.

Prov 12:26 A righteous man is cautious in friendship, but the way of the wicked leads them astray.

Prov 18:24 Friends come and friends go, but a true friend sticks by you like family.

Prov 25:12 And a wise friend's timely reprimand is like a gold ring slipped on your finger.

Ecclesiastes 4:12 By yourself you're unprotected. With a friend you can face the worst. Can you round up a third? A three-stranded rope isn't easily snapped.

This is one of the Bible verses that Bob will think is funny:

Prov 27:14 If you wake your friend in the early morning by shouting "Rise and shine!" It will sound to him more like a curse than a blessing.


Are you seeing the picture? Choose your friends wisely. Every Tuesday night I have the privilege of hanging out with some guys that are true friends. We sharpen each other. We speak TRUTH to each other, we disagree sometimes and we talk about why. We penetrate through the surface stuff. These are guys I can count on to help me stay on track in life... and I will do the same for them.

Don't choose friends in low places, or build weak relationships and think they are FRIENDS you can count on.

Live loud, live intentionally, and love God / Family / and Friends with every word and every action.

3 comments:

Got prayer? said...

Thank you for that blog, I think at this time in my life I needed that!

Fayth

Brooke said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! How in the world could you possibly change the radio station when Garth comes on?!?! I am shocked....we really have to change your perception. I even got the 5 disc DVD of his concert for Christmas, I'll bring them the next time I visit, I will give you your own personal concert. You are a brave soul posting such thoughts. Garth is one of those singer/performers that if he did a show every month, I would buy a ticket EVERY time. (I am the girl who has 2 blogs about his concert in KC & a slide show.) As for your actual portion of the blog, I love the scriptures and glad y'all are able to have Tuesday night date night to hold each other accountable. It's amazing to find such a great group of friends. (You should still watch your back when you hear I am coming to town!)

emily and kyle said...

I'll start off nice....and I'm making it long....to waste your time...that is your punishment. Prov. 27:14...I found that in HS and quoted it to my mom who was always too cheery in the AM. Now...

You are crazy. (I had other words but thought they might be too hurtful) And I remember where you live. I'm kicking you out of my friends...you can go mourn with Kristi Lee.

Ok...the God message was legit. I agree about the Friends in Low vs. High places. But you are crazy (exchanged again for a less hurtful word) in your understanding and appreciation of Garth Brooks. But look into some of his other songs....like Standing Outside the Fire. I believe it says "Life is not tried it is merely SURVIVED (not thriving!!) if you stand outside the fire." I can send you all the lyrics...and the CD. That is straight in line with Bob's message....and his msg is from the Big Man. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

But then again, why should I be surprised? I mean you think that Kristi Lee is better looking than Brooke White. Seriously.

I need to monitor your Tuesday night discussions. Who knows what kind of lies you are feeding my husband. You should sleep out in the laundry room...in a puddle of Twinkie pee.

haha Ok I'm done. I hope I wasted your time with my ramblings of nothing.

P.S. anymore GB comments and you will be missing a Griff and Hog. That's a promise...not a threat!